Friday, October 7, 2022

Honing your craft

 

I'm think I am getting to be a decent writer. At least people tell me that.
Unless you are a total natural, there is really one thing that's going to help your writing. That's writing. Okay two things, reading to others you respect, getting their feedback and listening to their suggestions. Maybe that's five things. You can decide which ones you need to follow.
I wrote some short stories when I was younger, and looking back on them makes me cringe. I think I was trying too hard.
Then came an unfortunate illness which put me in hospital for a few weeks in England. When boredom began to overtake me, I started an old school, pen and paper, journal.
When I finally got back home, I picked up those notes and started to write them into a diary.
I have to admit I thought they weren't half bad.
A short while later I was talking to customer at the bar we ran, and told them about my writer's aspirations.
She invited me to come to the Parliament Street Writer's, a group which met every Monday to read and critique.
I soon became a regular and began to look forward to reading my works, and also receiving hints. Some I totally accepted, while others didn't always quite fit.
But I was now in writing mode. I began to take the little ideas I had all day and put them into story form.
The more I did, the more the ideas flowed. The more I read them to the group, I realized I did have a knack for story telling. 
The constructive criticism they gave me was invaluable. 
I was starting to love writing, and giving my own takes on the other's works.
This isn't a biography so I will fast forward many years. I am a member of a few writer's groups. In some of them we meet, mostly via zoom and offer our readings and critiques.
Others are more like a social media thing, where we post questions and problems about our writing and offer suggestions to one another.
I have since published two books, which would have been unthinkable back in those early days.
Writing is now a huge part of my life, and although I hope to get better, I am more confident that many people enjoy my stories now.
I am sure even a five-star chef had trouble making a grilled cheese at some point. 
It's all about doing what you love, and accepting constructive criticism and advice. 
It's called honing your craft. Most of us have been doing it all our lives in our chosen profession. In time, you are able to stand back and say, "Yup, I am pretty good at what I do."



1 comment:

Land Ho

                                                                     Land Ho I believe I used the ship analogy to mark the progress of my n...